The First Presbyterian Church in Covington, Georgia, was first organized in 1827 and was located near the present site of the old Covington jail. That congregation dissolved in 1847. On March 28, 1877, with the Reverend J.N. Bradshaw serving as its first supply pastor, First Presbyterian Church was reorganized with twenty-one members. A dedication ceremony was conducted to consecrate the first building to the glory of God on October 6, 1878. The Reverend T.B. Trenholm was the first installed pastor of the church in 1893. In 1917, the first youth organization was begun with twenty-five members, and during the pastorate of Dr. Sam Burney Hay the first Vacation Bible School was held.
The original church was destroyed by fire in March of 1926, and a new sanctuary was rebuilt and dedicated during October of that same year. That sanctuary now contains church offices. The construction of a two-story building containing additional Sunday School rooms and the Martin Fellowship Hall was completed in May of 1959. In January of 1995, additional properties were purchased on Clark Street toward the west and the Clothes Closet, Food Pantry and Habitat for Humanity ministries were located there. On May 7, 1995, the present sanctuary and new church facilities were dedicated.
Through its history the church has been blessed and enriched by strong leadership, both lay and clergy. Our current pastor, the Reverend Dr. William B. Wade, Jr., is the twenty-fourth in a long line of ministers to serve this church, beginning his tenure here in January of 1986. Among our previous notable pastors are Sam B. Hay, Sr., who served from 1923 to 1926, and who later served as President of Stillman College, and Peter Marshall, who served here from 1930 to 1933, and later became Chaplain of the United States Senate.
Here is a clip from the 1955 movie "A Man Called Peter" starring WWII veteran and hero, Richard Todd.